Wednesday, March 30, 2011

What's Poppin' Up & Out Outside

Every time I walk outside I see a new blossom or a new growth, then I say "there is going to be no more snow. There are to many plants and nature knows what's comin' up." When we had a couple hard snows, hard snow for us is anything over 6" of snow, everyone would mention how the almanac predicted a big blizzard in March. There are only a couple more days  of March left and no snow; but, there is lots of good rain. The rain has speed up blooming on a few plants, so nature does know what the weather will be. If she didn't then she wouldn't be exposing herself everywhere, thank goodness her cheeks are colorful and brightens these gloomy days. I would like to show you a few photos of the Dogwoods and Strawberries in bloom now.

Around here I grew up learning how the Dogwood represents Christ's nailing to a cross made of Dogwood, that was once a mighty tree and now is smaller because of the shame of bearing Christ's beaten body.


The four leaves represent the cross.


The blush color of Dogwoods is said to be the blood Christ shed for us at Calvary.

 ~~~~~

I can't wait to stain my fingers with red juice will making jam this season. The bloom on the left has already been fertilized and will soon form a berry, on the right the bloom is in need of a little honeybee companionship.


 Strawberries around our house don't make it to ripeness and being picked. The rabbits and other creatures love gobbling up the fruit.


 


~~~
Have a great weekend!



4 comments:

  1. Your Dogwoods are about where mine are - still no white flowers, but oh, they'll be gorgeous when they show up! I love that you shared the legend of the tree; I learned the same story growing up in North Carolina. I always thought everybody knew that story, but come to find out, not too many do - at least not in my area in VA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh so pretty...can't wait for all this snow to melt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry you are still in a winter wonderland Deborah Ann. The sun has finnaly come out here this morning after almost a week of rain. I hope you see the colors soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned something new today. I didn't know the story of the dogwood either. Thanks for sharing that and for entry in the Farm Friendzy blog hop!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete