Friday, July 20, 2012

Portobello Mushrooms with a Mushroom Garlic Gravy

At the first of the week our local grocer discounts produce that has just simply not sold, such as over ripe bananas, veggie/fruit dips, and overstock produce. One of our favorite buys is the overstock mushrooms, so now the fridge has a beautiful pack of large sliced portobello mushrooms and a big imagination plus a stocked fridge. So why not veggies covered in a gravy, yum! The lemon juice used to saute the mushrooms adds a nice acidity to balance the rich butterness of the gravy, extra yum!

Portobello Mushrooms with a Mushroom Garlic Gravy
1 Package of Sliced Mushrooms, preferably portobellos
2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
Butter or fat drippings
1 Tablespoons Minced Garlic, I used a pre-minced refrigerated tube version
Milk
Flour
Salt

1. Saute the mushrooms in about 1 tablespoon of butter or drippings, lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon minced garlic. Saute on medium-high until browned yet still firm. Drain mushrooms on a napkin and set aside.

2. In pan add a little extra butter, about 1 table spoon more to the leftover browned bits. Add the rest of the garlic and about 1 to 2 tablespoons of flour. Whisk until fully incorporated and all lumps of flour are broken down. Add about 1 cup of milk and continue to whisk until the gravy comes to a boil. Add salt as desired, about 1/2 teaspoon. Boil until the gravy is to desired thickness adding milk for a thinner viscosity. Allow the gravy to cool slightly and it will continue to thicken.

3. Serve gravy over drained mushrooms for a savory meat free dish.




Part of the Homestead Barn Hop

3 comments:

  1. I love the title of your blog! My Step Dad was a Red Dirt Boy.....your title almost made me cry! Oh I hope you link up to The Ole' Saturday Homesteading Trading Post @ Lil' Suburban Homestead this week! I have a mushroom farm that I am trying to get going and this recipe soooo inspired me...I can tell we have lots in common! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you KarenLynn for your wonderful comment, I love to hear from readers. i was glad to link up to your blog and am very happy you got some inspiration out of my post :) God bless your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited you linked up to The Ole' Saturday Trading Post this week! I truly enjoyed your post ....:)

    ReplyDelete