Tuesday, November 27, 2012

I'm Back.... At Least for the Moment (Red Velvet Whoopie Pies & New Frosting)

With life moving full throttle I've remembered that I do indeed have a blog and would love to start working on it again. Since Christmas is right around the corner I want to post some crafts, food, and other goodies to help inspire your celebration of Jesus Christ's birthday. I'll start today's post with my experience making 'Woman's Day' magazine Red Velvet Whoopie Pies. These whoopie pies were fun to make and impressed my family big time. They are also an acquired texture kind of treat: part cake, part cookie, and no pie *hmm.*

I've always wanted to try one of these Northern treats or Amish treats as you may want to refer to them: whoopie pies. I baked the above recipe (in the link) for our first potluck Thanksgiving last Sunday. First piece of advice, follow direction order; out of my tendencies to mix it all at once I caused a mix mess. Trying to mix red food coloring into a very stiff dough will ruin your clothes, thankfully (going with Thanksgiving here) they were just lounging clothes. Second, do not bake until the maximum time, the pies crack and and form an almost crunchy shell. Third, when using cream cheese frosting serve the pies within two hours of cooking to be on the safest side, but the sugars in the marshmallow fluff should inhibit bacteria- preventing spoiling. Fourth, use a small ice cream scoop to make even portions of pie halves; they look more uniform and are easy to mate up when frosting.  Fifth, enjoy... they're delicious and rich little treats.


 
~~~
 
 
We had a second Thanksgiving on the actual day, this time I want to rave about the new coolwhip frosting. I used one tub, which was not enough, to decorate a festive carrot cake. Advice: by more than one container, when coloring only use icing gels or powder to prevent 'icing' from melting, and do not over mix which will break up the air bubbles.
 
The carrot cake pictured is iced using the cream cheese flavored icing, the orange band down the middle was a scattered improvising of standard canned cream cheese frosting, like I mentioned there is not enough frosting in the tubs, but it is so scrumptious!!!
 

 
 
 
 
 
~~~
Shared with Farm Girl Friday


No comments:

Post a Comment