This time of year root vegetables are in season; root vegetables include sweet potatoes, taro, beets, turnips, potatoes, yams, and then some. Root vegetables are just that, roots. Some varities of root vegetables greenery that grows above the ground is also edible, yet in some cases it is not. It is important to find out what parts are edible when you grow fruits and vegetables yourself. The following recipe is a delicious way to beat the winter blues with a grill and spurts of orange: orange is also considered the color for 2012 so this dish is also stylish.
Grilled Apple Butter & Brown Sugar Sweet Potato Rounds
Makes 2 Servings
1 Large Georgia Grown Sweet Potato
1/4 Cup Apple Butter
1/4 Brown Sugar
1. Slice potato into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices. Boil slices in salted water (1 pich of salt added to water) on high until the potatoes give slightly to being pinched, approximatley 10-12 minutes.
2. Pre-heat grill on medium-high heat.
3. Make a glaze: mix apple butter with brown sugar. Glaze potaoes once before placing on grill of cooking in the oven(350 degrees Farienheight, until tender.) Place glazed slices on grill and cook until the glaze begins to bubble, flip slices and re-glaze.
4. When the oposite sides glaze begins to buble flip the slice once more and re-glaze. Turn when grill marks are evident and the potaoes begin to soften.
5. When the slices are cooked to your preferred consistency you can enjoy b(eating) the winter blue away.
Sweet potaoes served as a side with Vidalia chicken, recipe at link.